Skip to main content

ACTIONS OBJECTIVES 101

 CREATING AN ACTION

 

Having narrowed the focus of wants to the choice of specific verbs, let us take the first of two steps in refinement. An adequate expression of the want is a verb by itself. A superior, more subtle, and certainly more actable expression of the want will include the person to whom the want is directed and the response sought from that person so that a first-class actor expressing an individual want of the character would include all three elements:



 

                               VERB                 RECEIVER + RESPONSE

I want               to WIN              Gloria's  admiration.

 

I want              to AWAKEN       my father's enthusiasm.

 

I want              to REDUCE         my lover to tears.

 

I want               to IGNITE           the crowd to riot.

 

I want               to PERSUADE   Ann to kiss me.

 

 

The objective may be changed, modified, refined, or upgraded later, but, at least for now, we have:

1. a verb

2. a receiver

3. a desired response

 



 

 

 

Ball, William. A Sense of Direction. New York : Drama Book Publishers, 1984.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WANTS WANTS WANTS VERBS ACTIONS

Wants. Wants. Wants. Wants are what create drama. Wants are what give life to the character. Wants are what the waking individual is never without. Wants are perpetual. Wants cause action. Wants create conflict. Wants are the very energy man's life and the   System of Wants  is the aspect of character to which the actor gives his relentless and obsessive attention. The actor tracks down the wants. Everything else is classified as a condition. The golden key is the character's system of wants. And after I have studied and structured and tested and assumed the character's system of wants, then, and only then, am I permitted to occupy their inner life and express their personality. Of all the questions I ask the character about themselves. the overwhelming majority have to do with their wants: "What do you want?" "What do you want now?" "What is your ultimate want?" "What do you want from the other person?" "What do you want in the ...

Parts of a scene: BEATS

  BEATS    Scenes themselves may be divided into units of action called  beats.  The word beat may come from bit, meaning "a small part." Stanislavski used the term "unit of action" for what we commonly call a beat today. In any case, a beat has its own dramatic shape, with an underlying conflict and a rising action leading to a crisis. Beats, like scenes, do not have much resolution, since they must lead us on into the next beat in order to continue the flow of the scene.   Each beat contains an objective, an action, a conflict, and an obstacle.  Each beat can be broken down into a series of moments.   Felner, Mira.  Free to Act . Allyn & Bacon, 2004. Benedetti, Robert.  The Actor In You . Pearson Higher Ed, 2015.